11 June 2011

Adventures with spam

I've had a very frustrating week. I have two videos that need editing but have been distracted by a spam attack on our community website, BAD info.

This WordPress-powered blog had been running without a glitch until last Thursday when I suddenly started to receive email notifications of new subscribers. Hundreds of them. Every day. They were all spammers, sorry, "marketers".

The bots are easily identified and removed from the equation as there's no user device. Known spammers are also easily excluded using the various plug-ins available for WordPress.

I've ended up removing the "Join us and subscribe" widget altogether, and am asking new contributors to email me so I can set up their user accounts myself.

Yet new spammers are still managing to register. I must be missing something here.

Rats!

No comments:

Post a Comment