18 March 2011

SVG community website

Some of my SVG work has found a good home on a website specifically designed for the growing SVG community: SVG Elves. This work is published under the Creative Commons 0 license – "share and share-alike". I hope that my fellow W3C SVG course participants will follow suit and share some of the fantastic work they did during the course. It's early days yet, but I think that this site will be an excellent way to keep in touch and to be inspired by other people's work.

As well as showing SVG examples, the SVG Elves website offers tutorials, code snippets, articles, and links to useful SVG resources, so if you're a complete novice, this is a good place to start.

Professor David Dailey and I have agreed to collaborate on some projects – we share a passion for optical art – and I expect the fruits of our collaboration eventually to show up on the SVG Elves website. Watch this space...

Finally, here's another example of SVG I produced during the course. This one incorporates a repeated JPEG image, text used as a mask, and a drop-shadow effect. Clicking on the JPEG (crop) below you can see how its SVG source file looks in your browser. Some browsers (such as Safari) still choke on the drop-shadow effect and display the shadow as a grey block.

POP ART'S DEAD

No comments:

Post a Comment